Wednesday, December 8, 2010

it's always something...

Last week at saige's yearly physical, the doctor determined that Saige's vision was 20/40.  Now, I had definitely never noticed her having any problem seeing, but they requested that I take her to an eye doctor so I made an appointment.  Today was that appointment.  Much to my surprise, the doctor determined that has an astigmatism in each of her eyes causing her not to be able to see better then 20/40 regardless of what lense he put in front of her eye.  He said this has most likely been a condition she's had since birth and that she hasn't complained about it because she had no idea she was supposed to be able to see better then she does.  I feel AWFUL that I wasn't aware she was having a problem.  I feel a little comforted in the fact that she is excelling in school regardless of her vision problem, and that none of her teachers have noticed her struggling because of it either.  How did i miss that though?  Geez.  Anyway, needless to say she needs glasses.  She picked out a cute little pink pair and she'll have them within the week.  The doctor wants to see her every 4 weeks for the next 6 months to keep tabs on her progress and adjust her lenses accordingly.  He feels that with aggressive treatment, such as what we're doing, that he hopes to have it cleared up within the year.  I felt confident in his decision and diagnosis because he told me that his daughter had the same exact problem when she was Saige's age and he got it to clear up for her.  We'll see.  I'm nervous for her though.  I'm nervous because he said kids have a hard time keeping the glasses on for the first few weeks because they see so differently and they don't like it.  I'm also afraid she's going to get made fun of (i know, glasses are no big deal these days, but kindergardners are pretty mean these days).  We'll see how it goes, I'm hoping she surprises me and it's just fine the day she comes in, but something is telling me to feel otherwise.  Oh well, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment